Quote of the week

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.


~~Robert Frost


Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Beginning

A few days ago, we celebrated 2 years on the road in our Travel Trailer. Instead of making one huge post about our beginnings, I'm going to try to break it down into 2 or 3 parts. Part one, The Beginning.

Living on the road in an rv has always been a dream of mine ever since my mom told me her and dad lived in a camper for the first year of my life. That planted the dream, until then I didn't know that such a wonderful thing was possible. To have the freedom and ability to be mobile and go where you wanted, seemed like the perfect life. I've never been a "stable" person. I was always looking for the next place to move when our leases were up. Then I met my wonderful husband in one of those random moves, married him and tried to settle down. He is the type of person who wanted the "normal" life, you know the one, where all the kids are born in the same hospital, grownup in one house, and where we retire and die, all in one place. So I put my mobile lifestyle on the back burner, or at least tried. Instead of moving every year, we moved every two years, that seemed to be my limit before I was bored out of my mind with the current house. This continued until Jan 2009.

In October 2008, we settled in to a rent to own situation for a nice house. Come December, I started getting weird "feelings" about the house, like an intuition. Something was going down in the universe that encompassed my world. We had a renter in the back house, it was 2 houses total on the property, and my employment had recently been terminated. I began looking into alternate ideas, thats when my fulltiming idea became more of a viable option, given the economic state of the U.S. So after bring the idea up to my husband again, this time supported with tons of research and homework, after a month, he gave the ok,(shortly after losing his job and the prospect of another in his field any time soon was grim). So, on the first weekend in Jan, we put everything we owned onto the lawn and opened up the house,(minus the few things we wanted to keep) and sold everything off. Loaded what we wanted in to a small 5x5 storage and took anything that didn't sell to the thrift store, and proceeded to move into my mothers house while we looked for a fulltiming set up.

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo! Love your blog so far and you write really well. I'm glad you are doing this so I can keep up with you, Kurt and the kids. I miss you guys a lot! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, We miss you too. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete