Quote of the week

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.


~~Robert Frost


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Great Expectations

We've been on the road now for a little over 2 years. Is there anything I would have done differently? What mistakes have I made since we started full timing? What would I do if I could start all over? Honestly, my first thought is " We should of started sooner", but everything happens for a reason. We hit the road when we were meant to. So, really, what would we have do differently if we could hit the proverbial REDO button?

First, I should have never expected anything other than to have an adventure. When we started I had high hopes of moving all the time, boondocking a lot, and sightseeing. We have been on the road now for 2 years, and I have been to a hand full of states, mainly for workamping jobs which meant no sightseeing. Like I said, an adventure, but an ever changing one. We have made a lot of new friends and some really great connections and so have our kids. So no regrets there.

Second, I would have packed more of the kids toys. I never realized how much time they would actually spend inside. It maybe raining out, snowing, or just too dang hot for them and no matter how hard I try to kick them out the door, they don't want to go when the weather's like that. I envisioned that the kids would be outside all the time, so I packed mostly outside toys with only a few inside ones.

Third, I got rid of a lot of my specialty pans that I wished I would have kept and have been slowly replacing. I thought I wouldn't have the time nor the space to bake. I've learned I can't go without making Christmas cookies or cheesecakes and learned how to make the space. I love baking and don't know why I got rid of my good pans. I thought that by being on the road, my day to day routine was going to change drastically, it really hasn't. I get up a little later because there's no bus to put the kids on but thats pretty much it.

Since being on the road, I have learned to always have a backup plan, and a backup for your backup, just in case. No matter how concrete something maybe, you just never know. A job could no longer need you, you may get there and not like it, or a better offer may come along. I'm always keeping on eye on whats out there.

So all in all, if I could talk to myself 2 years ago, before I sold everything, I would tell myself: Keep your bake ware, don't give all those toys away, things may not go as you expected, expect the unexpected, and always, have a backup plan, nothing is written in stone. You never know what to expect! Some people are born to be fluid and flexible(me) and others have to learn how to just go with the flow:) Being a Gypsy Rebel helps!


This was written for The Families on The Road Blog Carnival. Wanna join? Visit http://familiesontheroad.com/carnival.html#3


                                                                     Happy Travels!!

2 comments:

  1. Love that, a backup for your backup. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about going slowly. If I could have a $1 every time someone laughed or is amazed over how slowly we've moved I would be rich. I prefer thorough :)

    ReplyDelete