Quote of the week

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.


~~Robert Frost


Sunday, April 17, 2011

Random Thought: American Dream

So, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep when I started thinking about our life and how everything has changed in the short 11 yrs Kurt and I have been together. We started of with the need to have the American Dream, but why was that the collective dream? Why were we all instilled with the need to have the American Dream. The white picket fence, the 2 story house in the 'burbs, 2.5 kids and a dog? So I did a little research in the wee hours of the night, or early morning how ever you look at it. I found that the Dream is rooted in the Declaration of Independence which proclaims that "all men are created equal" and that they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It was also a driving force for the immigrants that flooded the country in the late 1800's, for them they had probably the most basic form of the dream, the need to own ones own home and have the ability to rise above the class you were born into. So, I found a beginning to the Dream. It all started with a simple desire to have a house, there was no mention of becoming rich or having everything you could possible want, just a simple house, so to me the original Dream was simply to be able to survive without struggling.


What happened? People got greedy as they always do and when they got the house, they need to maintain or improve it. Which lead to the need for more money and more possessions, to "Keep up with the Jones". Where am I going with this? Just that the Dream for me at least has changed, I no longer what the house, dog, or the bills, if I ever REALLY wanted that, all I want now, my Dream, is a change a scenery. Being able to move at will, go where the work is, live comfortably, and be happy, as a family, is all I want now. This should be everyones dream, but I'm glad it's not, cause then workamping jobs would be scarce:) Good night, hopefully I can fall asleep now that I looked up what was on my mind. Heres a link I found: http://www.americansc.org.uk/online/American_Dream.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment